About Me

My photo
Follower and believer of Christ-Catholic. I live my life, as his child. A witness, living a life of he has preached. Faith comes before anything, morals keep hold me together.I'm Reserved, but opinionated. I am aspiring to be a better person, everyday. But for all that its worth I've got the man upstairs to thank for all the many blessings he's given me... I live to serve and serve to live :)

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Just imagine

Perspective Family, is a non - profit organization that is set up to help shelter families who are at risk. It's a program that provides supportive housing, case management, mental health services, parent education, and child enrichment programming. The kids who attend the program, are either recommended by their teachers, apply for Free Reduced Lunch at school, and if there rents are in need of physical/mental assistance. The perspectives that I intern, has a building that they own, near by the center, mainly for women. Most of the kids, who attend this summer program, live there. According to the teacher I assist, she tells me that the women get checked at 10pm every night, just to make sure that they are staying on track, and not relapsing...
I've been interning at this place for only two days, and I've already started to become attached to some of the kids, already. So soon. At the same time, I've been observing them, as well. Like which ones need more help in math, which is having troubles in reading, and just opening myself up to the kids in general especially the ones who don’t speak or is bashful. From my experiences at Giao Ly, with 42 kids, alongside, TNTT teaching, I thought it would be much easier with only 14-16 kids. But this is way different. From what I've seen, the kids are all very different, but different in their own kind of way. You'd think at 8am, they’d be more peaceful and quiet...well, not my bunch. Within one hour, I repeatedly had to remind some of them to keep their hands to themselves, no throwing stuff animals, it's not nice to bully, no saying 'shut up', or its time for a 'time out'... it get very frustrating, I’m not going to lie, but I just remind myself, this is God testing my patience. Therefore, I will act in a calm manner, despite all that is going on.
Today, during recess, I was talking to Mrs. Kugglin (the teacher I assist with), and she had shared some very heartbreaking stories with me. Being so sheltered all my life, I couldn't believe it. It left me pondering, all day long. When we were younger, we would ask each other... “What does your dad do", but in these kids cases it would be normal to ask... "What did your dad go to jail for". Now imagine an 8 year old, converse with his/ her friend on how long their rents were in jail for... or why they had to be sent to jail. Imagine if your mom or dad was an alcoholic, or a drug addict... and they told you that they had stopped, and won't ever do it again for your sake. But you find them, relapsing. Continuing the same cycle, again. Some of the kids who go there have been abused, or sexually assaulted. In some other cases, their mother's have been, and so they can't stay in the same home for years, finding themselves consistently moving here, and there. Just imagine what they go home to each night... How can they stop, and for some parents I know they too love their blood and flesh, as well. They just need the help, and assistance. This is what this program is giving them, another chance. Another life. Most importantly, HOPE. Hope for themselves, hope for their children, and hope for their futures. It's just sad to the kids, paying the price for their actions.
As I mentioned earlier, each of these kids all are different, if you met them you would probably start by differentiating the 'bad’ and 'good' ones, and would most likely only surround yourselves with the 'good' kids...but to me... all I see is this halo that shines above them all. Even though, I see them yelling at one another in times of anger/frustration, or slamming the doors when been told, ‘no’. Children are not what meets the eye... they act the way they do for many reasons, and when it comes down to it... they just seek for a little of your attention, and some that unconditional love that they don't get at home, or they act out because they see the kid on the other side acting out for the heck of it. I see potential in each and every one of them. But With a little guidance, and support these kids could become something more than what we think or envision them to be.
As I drove home, I started to reflect on myself-everything. I started to realize the little things I took for granted... my room, my things, and just my life. I have closet filled with nice clothing, a beautiful home, everything. And yet, I find myself always urging for more.*sigh* But what I really took away from interning today was hearing what Mrs. Kugglin said, “Even though these kids witness their parents doing all these things, they all hold this unconditional love for their parents because that’s their family” . It got me thinking how sometimes we as kids resent or take our parents for granted on so many situations, and we often forget the sacrifices they have made to given us the life we have. Heck, just thinking about my mom giving me life is already so much! If these children can put aside the mistakes their parents have made… then we can too.
This brings me to my conclusion… only interning for 2 days with no pay. I can see how this place has affected me, already. Imagine the next month and a half. It breaks my heart, knowing that I am going home to this stable environment, while these kids are unsure of what tomorrow may bring. So for the time that I am there, I’m going to do my best to assist, and help these children. I’m going to push myself, and continue to pray for patience and understanding. And even though I have to get up early, and may encounter traffic (which I have both days), and have to deal with the chaos that surrounds me… I remind myself:
"For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom of many"- Mark 10:45
For he had serve us, and this is my chance of giving back and serving others… even if it’s something small, I hope that I too, can be of some help to these children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers